Raw Choc Porridge
This raw porridge is my favourite breakfast at the moment to take with me to uni. I simple prep it the night before, then add some fresh fruit in the morning and I'm good to go. There's nothing better than a healthy, delicious breakfast that takes less than 5 minutes to prepare, right?
It's a thick, creamy and super filling and satisfying breakfast that's packed full of fibre, complex carbs and plant protein to fuel your body to make the most of the day ahead. I think it tastes like a chocolate pudding dessert, and it goes perfectly with just about any fresh or frozen fruits. Yum!
Soaking the buckwheat makes it easier to digest, as well as improving the nutrient absorption, allowing you to make the most out of the food you eat, and making this a light, yet very filing and satisfying breakfast, which keeps me full and energised for hours.
Did you know that cacao is one of the foods highest in magnesium? You can learn all about the importance of magnesium in this post I wrote earlier, but to sum it up, it's a super important mineral for energy production, muscle recovery, relaxation and functioning of the nervous system. Making sure you get enough magnesium can also help reduce muscle soreness and improve recovery time if you exercise regularly. I'll take that as an excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast any day!
If you give this a go, don't forget to tag me on Instagram so I can see your delicious breakfast!
- 1/3 cup raw buckwheat
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1 serve vegan chocolate protein powder (see notes)
- 1 tsp psyllium husk (or chia seeds)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- fresh fruit, to serve
- Mix all ingredients together in a jar or bowl and set aside
- After 15 minutes, give it another good stir, then leave in the fridge overnight to thicken
- In the morning, serve with fresh fruit and enjoy!
- See my post on everything you need to know about protein powders and how to choose a good one!
- This porridge can be stored in the fridge for a few days, making it great for meal prep