Raw Caramel Crunch Bars
If you're looking for a ridiculously easy, healthy and delicious snack recipe, then you've come to the right place!
These raw Caramel Crunch Bars take less than 10 minutes to make, with just 3 wholesome ingredients needed. They make a great sweet treat, snack or dessert for anytime of the day to energise your cells, satisfy that sweet tooth and nourish your body, mind and soul. I especially love them on a hot afternoon, straight out of the freezer for a refreshing, sweet, icy snack!
Buckwheat is one of my favourite ingredients for making raw snacks like this. Fun fact about buckwheat: It's not actually a grain, but a pseudo-grain or seed, but has grain-like properties. It's a great source of protein, fibre, iron, magnesium, B vitamins and many other amazing nutrients. It's full of low GI complex carbohydrates to keep your energy and blood sugar stable, and it's gluten free too. I love that it can be eaten both raw and cooked, making it the perfect, versatile pantry staple.
Using dates as the sweetener makes these bars taste like sweet caramel, even more full of fibre and micronutrients, while being free of refined sugars. Sweet treats without the blood sugar spikes means they'll leave you feeling energised for hours after!
Anyway, let's get to the recipe. Don't forget to tag me on Instagram if you try these out, so I can see your crunchy caramel creation!
- 1 cup raw buckwheat
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1/2 cup date paste (see Notes)
- Mix together buckwheat, maca and date paste, combining well so everything is coated and a sticky mixture forms
- Press firmly into a tin or container lined with baking paper and place in the freezer to firm at least 2 hours
- Slice and enjoy!
- These bars softens quickly so is best eaten straight out of the freezer. If you have a dehydrator, you could also dehydrate the bars for 8-12 hours, which would mean the stay crunchy and firm when stored out of the freezer too!
- To make the date paste, simply blend 1 cup dates that have been soaked to soften, with 1/4 cup water until smooth
- Store in a container in the freezer
- If you don't have maca powder, feel free to leave it out. You could also add in some cinnamon or ground ginger instead!