Rainbow Red Rice Salad
I always get asked for simple, healthy and delicious lunch ideas, especially to take to work or school, so I thought I'd share with you one of my favourite lazy lunches.
This rice salad takes less than 10 minutes to prepare when you use leftover or pre-cooked rice and you can switch the ingredients up to use whatever veggies you have floating around in your fridge, making it the perfect meal to meal prep the day before (or even in the morning) or whenever you have a busy day and still feel like a nourishing, wholesome and vibrant lunch. I mean, who wouldn't want that?
The creamy, flavour packed Dijon tahini dressing on this salad has quickly become on of my favourites for salads of all kinds. Not only is it easy to make, but it's also super satisfying and makes any salad taste pretty incredible! Not to mention that it's a great boost of calcium, iron and healthy fats too.
It's packed full of complex carbohydrates for long lasting energy levels, plant protein and an abundance of different vitamins, minerals and antioxidants from all the different colourful veggies. The definition of eating the rainbow!
As well as being a great lunch box filler, this rice salad is also perfect to take to barbecues, parties and potlucks to share with family and friends, and show them just how easy it is to make delicious plant based food!
I hope you love this simple recipe as much as I do, and don't forget to tag me on Instagram if you make it. I love seeing your creations!
- 1 cup dry red rice (or 2 cups cooked)
- 2 cobs of sweet corn
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup purple cabbage
- 1 green capsicum (bell pepper)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large handful of parsley
For the dressing:
- juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- black pepper
- 1 tsp each garlic and onion powder
- (optional) 1 tsp maple syrup
- If not using pre-cooked rice, cook your rice and allow to cool completely
- Peel and dice the carrots and capsicum, chop the cabbage and parsley and remove the corn from its husks
- In a large bowl, mix together the rice, chickpeas and veggies, tossing to combine
- To make the dressing, mix together all ingredients until smooth. You may like to add a touch of more water to thin, depending on the brand/consistency of your tahini
- Drizzle as much of the dressing as you like over your salad and serve!
- If you don't have red rice, you can also use brown rice
- Feel free to add in or exchange the veggies for any colourful vegetables you have
- Keep any leftover dressing in a jar in the fridge for up to a week!