Strawberries and Cream Bircher Muesli
If there's one invention that tops them all, it's Bircher muesli. We have Maximillian Bircher-Benner, a physician, nutritionist and fellow Swiss, who lived around a Century ago to thank for that!
If you're not familiar with Bircher muesli, let me introduce you. Basically Bircher is a muesli made from oats and other grains, seeds, dried fruit and nuts that is soaked overnight in milk, yoghurt and/or apple juice, then topped with an array of different fruits such as grated apple, banana, berries and grapes, to make a soft, delicious and nutritious cold porridge-type breakfast. And it's definitely not just limited to breakfast either.
Being Swiss and growing up in Switzerland, we not only ate Bircher for breakfast regularly, but quite often ate it for dinner. It was (and still is!) one of my all-time favourite foods. I love experimenting with different combinations of fruits, seeds, spices and other ingredients to make different style Birchers for a nourishing breakfast or snack. And this heavenly strawberries and cream has become one of my go-to's...sweet, vibrant and refreshing berries paired with velvety coconut yoghurt and that vanilla spiced Bircher, it's just yum.
The fact that the muesli mix is soaked overnight also makes it much easier for us to digest, leaving you feeling full and satisfied, but light and energised at the same time! Soaking also improves the absorption of nutrients, through a reduction in naturally-occurring phytates, which typically bind to nutrients and prevent them from being absorbed.
Another great thing about Bircher is that since it's prepared the night before, you've got breakfast waiting and ready to go in the fridge when you get up on the morning. Perfect for grabbing when you don't have much time or to take with you on the go!
Without further ado, let's get to the recipe. I hope you love this Bircher variation as much as I do, and don't forget to tag me on Instagram if you try it so I can see your creation!
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup raw buckwheat
- 1/4 cup brown rice flakes
- 1/2 tbsp psyllium husk
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plant milk of your choice
- handful of fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp vanilla coconut yoghurt
- In a bowl or jar, mix together the oats, buckwheat, rice flakes, psyllium, chia, vanilla and plant milk. Stir well to combine, cover and leave in fridge overnight
- The next day, stir well and spoon into a bowl
- Top with strawberries, banana and coconut yoghurt. Enjoy!
- Quinoa flakes also work well in this recipe
- This Bircher keeps for a couple of days in a sealed container or jar in the fridge. Perfect for meal prep!