Raw Turkish Delight Slice
Here it is, the long awaited raw Turkish Delight Slice, my current new favourite recipe creation!
The first time I ever tried Turkish delight, at 10 years old, I was instantly hooked with the beautiful flavour of rosewater. Growing up, we never really had sweets in the house and being diabetic and a lover of healthy, homemade food, this suited me just fine. But I sure was excited when I discovered the rosewater extract was a thing, and I could recreate my own wholesome Turkish delight flavoured treats in a way that appealed to me.
Cue this heavenly raw slice.
A slightly crumbly, slightly chewy chocolatey base with a gooey, refreshing raspberry Turkish delight filling. Deliciously sweet, yet not too sweet. Decadent and the perfect dessert or snack for any time of the day.
Even better is that, as usual, it's 100% good for you! Packed with fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, while being free of gluten, refined-sugar and oil, made of all natural ingredients. It still blows my mind on the daily that it's possible to create such nourishing desserts that taste just as good as (if not better than!)the real thing. Now that's PLANT POWER!!
Don't forget to tag me on Instagram if you give this recipe a try and let me know if you've it as much as I do!
- 1 cup raw buckwheat (or rolled oats)
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 tsp rosewater extract
- 1.5 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2.5 tbsp water
- Soak the dates in warm water for 10 minutes to soften
- Add the buckwheat, oats, coconut flour and cacao into a blender or food processor and pulse until a coarse flour forms
- Now add in the vanilla and 2/3 of the dates, processing until a dough forms
- Press the base mixture firmly and evenly into a baking paper lined brownie tin, and place in the freezer to firm
- Blend the rest of the dates, together with the raspberries and rose water until no chunks are left
- Spread the filling mixture evenly onto the base and place back in the freezer
- Combine the topping ingredients, mixing well until smooth, then once the filling is firm, spread the chocolate topping evenly on top
- Place back into the freezer for an hour to firm, then slice, serve and ENJOY!
- When slicing, use a wet knife to make it easier and stop the slice from sticking
- Keeps well in a sealed container in the freezer for a couple of weeks
- Rosewater extract can be found in the baking aisle of the supermarket, or in Asian/Oriental speciality stores