Double Choc Cookie Dough Slice
Who ever said healthy eating meant just eating salads and green smoothies all day? To me, eating healthy food is such a joy. A form of self love. I never feel deprived or like I am restricting myself, especially when I get to eat delicious food like this on a daily basis!
This double chocolate cookie dough slice not only tastes like a decadent dessert, but it's also 100% good for you. Made entirely of whole food ingredients, with no refined sugars, oil or flours, plus it's also gluten free. Basically, they're healthy enough to eat for breakfast. Like, everyday.
They're also high in fibre and packed with plant protein, as well as a whole bunch of essential vitamins and minerals, such as iron, magnesium, zinc, potassium and B vitamins.
Speaking of fibre, these cookie dough slices also contain a very special kind of fibre called resistant starch. This form of selectively fermentable fibre is found in oats, legumes and Natural Evolution Green Banana Resistant Starch, which is made purely from green bananas! Resistant starch is a form of prebiotic, which nourishes the beneficial bacteria in your gut to help support a healthy microbiome.
Looking after you gut with gut-friendly foods, such as prebiotics, is so important because the gut is such a central part of our body systems and plays such a huge role to both our physical and mental health. A healthy gut keeps your immune system strong, prevents chronic diseases such as colorectal cancers and type 2 diabetes, improves nutrient absorption and metabolism and produces hormones such as serotonin, the 'feel good hormone' to balance your mood and improve sleep. Fibre also keeps you satiated and helps regulate your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Pass the cookie dough slice, please!
Don't forget to tag me on Instagram if you try these out, I love hearing your feedback and seeing all your wonderful creations!
- 80g raw buckwheat (or rolled oats)
- 1 cup (150g) pitted dates, soaked in warm water
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 heaped tbsp Natural Evolution Green Banana Resistant Starch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup (50g) pitted dates, soaked in warm water
- 3/4 cup (150g) chickpeas
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- (optional) 1 tbsp cashew or peanut butter
- raw cacao nibs
- Blend the buckwheat to form a coarse flour. Then add in the soaked dates, cacao, green banana resistant starch and water, pulsing until a 'dough' forms
- Press the base mixture firmly and evenly into a baking paper lined loaf tin to form the base. Place in the freezer while you make the rest of the slice
- Blend together the chickpeas, vanilla and dates (and nut butter if using) until completely smooth
- Spread the chickpea cookie dough mix evenly on top of the base and sprinkle with raw cacao nibs
- Place back in the freezer for an hour to firm before slicing into squares. Enjoy!
- This slice freezes well, stored in a sealed container for a few weeks
This recipe is a collaboration with Natural Evolution Foods, all opinions shared are my own and I only ever recommend products I truly love!