Single Serve Gluten Free Bun
I created this recipe when I came home from Uni one day really in the mood for peanut butter and banana on toast. The only problem was I didn't have any bread. So I thought I'd improvise by making a quick single serve bun - and it turned out to be a very good decision indeed!
This recipe takes less than 15 minutes in total to make, and the result is a delicious, soft and fluffy bun with a crusty outside, that puts any of those dense cardboard-like gluten free buns you buy from the store (and pay a small fortune for, might I add...) to shame!
Gluten free, oil free and refined sugar free, it's perfect for everyone to enjoy and also super versatile. I love to top mine with nut butter and banana slices, avo smash with black pepper or coconut yoghurt with berries. You could even use this as a simple burger bun for a veggie bean patty or to make a sandwich. Feel free to get creative!
I'd love to see your re-creations of this recipe and what you choose to top your bun with, so don't forget to tag me on Instagram if you try it out!
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp psyllium husk or flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp plant milk of your choice or water
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a tray with parchment paper
- Mix together the dry ingredients, then add in the apple sauce, apple cider vinegar and enough water to make a sticky dough
- Spoon the dough mix onto the baking tray to form a bun shape, then bake for about 10 minutes until firm and golden
- Slice in half and fill with your favourite nut butters, fruit, dips or whatever else you desire and enjoy!
- This recipe would also work with oat flour, spelt or wholemeal flour. I've also tried it with half and half buckwheat and brown rice flours and it turned out great!