Pumpkin Chickpea Quinoa Curry
Now that it's the middle of Winter here in Australia, I just love making warming and nourishing veggie-packed curries for dinner on these chilly nights. The best way to warm up is from the inside out after all!
This spicy one-pot Pumpkin Chickpea and Quinoa Curry is not only delicious but also super easy to make - it almost cooks itself! It's packed with fibre, anti-inflammatory spices and minerals like iron and calcium, as well as plenty of plant based protein. Quinoa is a fantastic source of vegan protein, as it's a complete protein, which means that it contains all of the essential amino acids that we need to build our tissues, repair our cells and for so many other amazing functions our bodies are constantly doing every single second of every single day!
I love making big batches of this curry so there's plenty of leftovers, as in my opinion it tastes even better the next day!
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1.5 cups dry quinoa or millet, rinsed well
- 500g pumpkin, peeled and diced into large cubes
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can tinned tomato
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 handfuls of kale or spinach
- fresh coriander
- lime, avocado and natural coconut yoghurt, to serve
- Sauté the onion in a pan until just soft, then add the garlic, chilli, ginger and spices and sauté until fragrant
- Add in the quinoa, pumpkin, tomatoes, zucchini and veggie stock or water and simmer for about 30 minutes until the quinoa is cooked
- Stir in the chickpeas and kale and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, then stir through the fresh coriander
- Serve topped with avocado, a spoonful of coconut yoghurt, more coriander and a squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week
- This curry also freezes well to have on hand for quick and easy meals
- Feel free to adjust the amount of chilli to suit your level of preferred spiciness!