Spicy Tempeh Bites
I thought it was about time for another savoury recipe, and why not start with these spicy tempeh bites?
I have to admit, when I first tried tempeh, I had it plain I was not. a. fan. The texture put me off and I thought it tasted like chewy soggy cardboard. After that, I didn't eat it again for over a year. Then one day, after hearing so many people rave about it, I was finally brave enough to try it again. I added a few different spices, baked it in the oven and made a delicious Asian noodle salad. And from that day on I was a tempeh-convert.
Since then I've been experimenting with different marinades and ways of cooking the protein-packed superfood, which makes a tasty, nutrition and cruelty-free meat alternative. It's also full of fibre, magnesium, B vitamins and more, as well as being more easily digestible and absorbable than tofu because it's been fermented! This recipe is super simple to make and a little Mexican-inspired, with similar spices to those you'd find in a cajun mix. I love adding these tempeh bites to a burrito bowl, on top of a salad or stir fry, or in wraps.
So let's get straight to the recipe! Don't forget to take me on Instagram if you try this recipe, I love seeing your delicious creations!
- organic tempeh
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch of chilli powder
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp tamari (or to taste)
- juice of half a lime
- Mix the tomato paste, spices, maple syrup, tamari and lime in a small bowl to make a marinade
- Chop your tempeh into cubes and toss them through the marinade so they are well coated
- Let the tempeh bites marinate for 10-15 minutes while you prepare the rest of your meal, preheat your oven to 180-200 degrees Celsius
- Bake the tempeh for about 10 minutes or until slightly crispy on the outside. Enjoy!
- You can also cook these tempeh bites in a non-stick fry pan instead of the often for a bit of a different texture!