Apple Cinnamon Granola
As highly requested by you guys, I thought I'd share with you my favourite super simple granola recipe, which I am making on a weekly basis at the moment!
It's perfectly sweet, packed with flavour and filled with plenty of those crunchy golden clusters that every good granola needs. Better yet is that it also happens to be completely refined-sugar and oil free, while being full of nutrients such as fibre, complex carbohydrates, B vitamins and iron! I love eating it straight out of the jar as a snack, paired with fresh fruit and plant milk or vegan yoghurt and, of course, as a topping for smoothie bowls, banana ice cream and anything else that could possibly be in need of a crunchy cinnamon-y topping (which is most things!). I'd love to know what your favourite way to eat granola is?
To make this granola gluten free, simply use gluten free oats if you can tolerate them, or otherwise quinoa or millet flakes work great too. Also, feel free to add more or less cinnamon depending on your love for the spice. Happy granola making!
- 2 cups rolled oats (or other mixed grains such as quinoa flakes, rolled barley etc)
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup apple sauce
- optional: any nuts or seeds of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 180 C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- In a bowl, toss together the oats (or other grain flakes), buckwheat and cinnamon
- Stir in the apple sauce and vanilla, and mix so everything is well coated, then spread onto your baking sheet. It's best to spread it out about 1 cm thick and leaving some bigger chunks to make clusters!
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, then take out the tray to toss and mix your granola to turn it over, and pop back in the oven for another 10 minutes, until it's crisp and golden
- Allow to cool completely and enjoy!
- Store your granola in a sealed glass jar
- Keeps for at least 2 weeks