Green Glow Smoothie
Now that the weather's finally warming up again, there's nothing I love more than starting my day with a big green smoothie. Energising, refreshing, hydrating and delicious, a nutrient-packed and fruit-filled smoothie always sets me up to make the most of whatever the day throws at me!
Green smoothies are also such a great way to get a big dose of those leafy greens in. Greens are THE most nutrient-dense food, and it's so easy to pack a great big handful into a sweet smoothie or smoothie bowl, without even being able to taste them (because let's face it, chewing down on a whole bunch of kale isn't everyone's cup of tea!).
Greens are packed with fibre, folate, B vitamins, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, vitamin C, essential fatty acids, protein, antioxidants and SO much more. I find that eating enough greens gives me more energy, improves my digestion, gives me better skin, as well as protecting from heart disease, diabetes, hypertension and more....I could honestly go on forever about the health benefits of greens. Adding them into smoothie not only boosts the nutrient content, but also helps delay the release of sugar into the bloodstream to keep your blood sugar levels stable and keep you feeling satisfied and energised for longer.
The sweetness of the mango and banana make this smoothie deliciously tropical and tasty, masking that bitter greens flavour, with the mint adding a light and refreshing note. I also love adding hemp seeds for some extra protein, healthy fats and delicious creaminess, and sometimes I also add a spoonful of a good quality plant-based protein powder when I feel like it (usually after a morning workout!).
Without further ado, let me get right into the recipe. Don't forget to tag me on Instagram if you try out this delicious green smoothie and let me know how you like it!
- A big handful of baby spinach (or any other greens of your choice)
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup frozen mango
- A few leaves fresh mint
- 1 tsp spirulina
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- (optional) 1-2 tbsp vanilla or coconut flavoured plant-based protein powder
- kiwi fruit, banana, granola or other toppings of your choice
- First, blend the baby spinach and coconut water in a blender until no green chances are left
- Now add in the banana, mango, mint, spirulina, hemp seeds and protein powder (if using)
- Blend again until smooth and creamy
- Pour into a jar and add your toppings on top
- Instead of coconut water, any type of plant milk could also be used